Canada Plans to Lift Some Sanctions on Syria Jihadis Following Massacres

The Canadian Foreign ministry said on Thursday that it plans to ease some financial sanctions on Syria and send a non-resident ambassador to Damascus, despite the horrific massacres of Alawites and Christians perpetrated by the new Syrian government and its allies last weekend.

“Canada can play a meaningful role in enabling Syrians to build an inclusive country that respects all of its citizens. We also can help prevent Syria from falling into chaos and instability,” said Canada’s special envoy for Syria, Omar Alghabra.

Canadian Foreign Minister Melanie Joly said sanctions would be relaxed for six months to “support democratization, stabilization, and the delivery of aid” during a “period of transition” for Syria.

“These sanctions had been used as a tool against the Assad regime and easing them will help to enable the stable and sustainable delivery of aid, support local redevelopment efforts, and contribute to a swift recovery for Syria,” said a statement from Joly and Minister of International Development Ahmed Hussen.

The sanctions-easing plan involves issuing six-month permits for Canadians to conduct business transactions in Syria that were banned under sanctions, and transmit funds through the Syrian Central Bank and a few other financial institutions.

“This funding will support experienced humanitarian partners to deliver life-saving assistance, including food, protection services, water, sanitation and hygiene services, and health services. This brings Canada’s total humanitarian assistance to the Syria crisis this year to more than $100 million,” said Joly and Hussen.

Keep reading

B.C. College Finds Nurse Guilty of ‘Professional Misconduct’ Over Gender Views

The B.C. College of Nurses and Midwives has ruled that Amy Hamm—a registered nurse and journalist—committed “professional misconduct” for expressing her views on sex and gender in published articles and public advocacy.

The complaint against Hamm was launched in 2020 after she publicly defended biological sex-based rights for women and criticized gender ideology. Hamm, who has written for outlets like The Post Millennial, The National Post, and Reduxx, became a target for activists after helping organize the 2021 Vancouver event featuring British gender-critical speaker Meghan Murphy.

Her outspoken stance on women-only spaces, transgender policies in prisons, and gender ideology in healthcare led to a formal investigation by the nursing regulator.

For nearly four years, Hamm has fought to defend her right to free expression, arguing that her advocacy outside of work has no bearing on her ability to care for patients. Despite this, the College ruled against her, finding her guilty of “professional misconduct” for her published writings and advocacy work.

Hamm is represented by the Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms.

However, in a small victory for free expression, the College determined that most of her personal social media posts were not sufficiently tied to her work to warrant additional findings of misconduct.

Keep reading

Canada’s Navy Sails With US Ships as Trump Talks Annexation

As Donald Trump seeks to cripple Canada economically to pursue annexation, the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) is assisting the US bid to stoke war with China. With far-right Trump supporters calling for the US to invade, Canada continues to assist US belligerence in Asia.

Last month HMCS Ottawa transited through the Taiwan Strait with a US warship. It was the first non-US warship to make the provocative move in 2025. A Chinese Navy commander claimed Canada’s actions “deliberately disturbed the situation and undermined the peace and stability of the Taiwan Strait.”

It’s the sixth time an RCN vessel has transited through the waterway since Canada released its Indo Pacific Strategy in November 2022. The Indo Pacific Strategy calls on Canada to augment the regular number of warships in east Asia from one to three vessels.

A few days before traversing the Taiwan Strait HMCS Ottawa participated in a joint exercise with US and Filipino ships in the Philippines Exclusive Economic Zone. They said it “underscores our shared commitments to upholding the right to freedom of navigation…as well as respect for maritime rights under international law as reflected in the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).”

A month ago the Associated Press reported that Ottawa and Manila are in the final stages of negotiating a defense pact to boost joint military exercises. Canada’s ambassador in the Philippines David Hartman said the agreement “will enable us to have even more substantive participation in joint and multilateral training exercises and operations with the Philippines and allies here in the region.”

Keep reading

Canadian man sentenced to 25 years for attack on Keystone XL Pipeline, US energy infrastructure

A Canadian man has been sentenced to 25 years in federal prison for attacking energy infrastructure in the United States, causing $1.7 million in damages. A judge ruled that his crimes met the legal definition of terrorism.

Cameron Smith, 50, originally from the Toronto area but living in Astoria, Oregon, was sentenced on Monday. In addition to prison time, he was ordered to pay over $2.1 million in restitution and $250,000 in fines. Smith also faces deportation upon his release.

Smith pleaded guilty in September to charges of destroying energy facilities. The attacks occurred in 2022 near Carpenter, South Dakota, and in 2023 near Ray, North Dakota. US District Judge Daniel Traynor handed down two consecutive 12-year-and-6-month sentences—far exceeding the federal guideline range of 3.5 to 4.25 years per count.

“Smith also admitted to damaging a transformer and pumpstation of the Keystone Pipeline located near Carpenter, South Dakota, in an amount exceeding $100,000, in July 2022. Smith damaged the Wheelock substation and the Keystone Pipeline equipment by firing multiple rounds from a high-power rifle into the equipment resulting in disruption of electric services to the North Dakota customers and resulting in disruption of the Keystone Pipeline in South Dakota,” the Justice Department says.

Prosecutor David Hagler defended the stiff sentence, arguing that Smith’s actions fit the definition of terrorism by “attempting to intimidate or coerce a civilian population.”

Smith’s defense attorney, Douglas Passon, pushed back, describing his client as a “hyper-aware individual wanting to create awareness about climate change” who intentionally chose remote locations to prevent harm to people.

In the South Dakota case, Smith’s attack led to the shutdown of a Keystone XL Pipeline pump station, causing a leak that damaged surrounding land. In North Dakota, he damaged transformers and infrastructure at an electrical substation, leading to power outages for 243 customers.

During sentencing, Smith told the court he had resorted to direct action out of frustration after years of attempting to raise awareness about climate change through legal channels. He pleaded for a lesser sentence, citing his autism and Crohn’s disease, said the Justice Department in a release.

Keep reading

Meet Mark Carney – Canada’s Next (Unelected) Prime Minister

After officially resigning two months ago, Justin Trudeau is finally stepping down as Prime Minister of Canada. His replacement? The recently-selected Mark Carney.

Regular readers are no doubt familiar with Carney, he’s had quite a few high-profile jobs over the years. As a quick reminder, let’s run down the highlights of his CV:

  • 1990-2003: Goldman Sachs (various)
  • 2003-2007: Department of Finance, Canada (senior associate deputy minister)
  • 2007-2013: Central Bank of Canada (Chairman)
  • 2010-2012: Bank of International Settlements Committee on the Global Financial System (Chairman)
  • 2013-2020: Bank of England (Governor)
  • 2020-2024: Brookefield Asset Management (Vice-Chairman)
  • 2020-2025: UN Special Envoy for Climate Action and Finance
  • 2025-????: Prime Minister of Canada…apparently

My, there are a lot of banks on that list, aren’t there? Not to mention his special appointments at Chatham House and the World Economic Forum or his regular appearances at Bilderberg. However, the eagle-eyed may note the absence of previous elected offices.

In fact, not only has he never won any elected office at any level of government, he’s never even run before. He will be the first Canadian Prime Minister to have never held a seat in the House of Commons.

Now, we could talk policy here. We could ask ourselves, “what is Carney in favour of?” or “how are things about to change?” but that would waste my time and yours. Look at his résumé. Bilderberg, UN Climate Envoy, Goldman Sachs…we know what his policies will be. The same as everyone else’s.

The only meaningful change he can offer is the further degradation of our supposedly “democratic” system.

Keep reading

Yves Engler: My 5 Days in Jail as Political Prisoner for Criticizing Israel

I recently spent five days in jail for social media posts critical of Israel and police charges brought against me. It was an unpleasant, though interesting, experience that culminated in a small victory for free speech and Palestine campaigning.

On Thursday February 20 at 9:30 a.m. 30 rallied at the detention centre where I turned myself in for charges related to ‘harassing’ a Zionist influencer and the Montreal police. I told the crowd the charges and conditions brought against me were police and judicial harassment.

More than a dozen police were on hand to monitor those accompanying me at the detention centre. As I crossed over into the police precinct, we chanted “Free Palestine”.

Two inspectors were waiting for me near the door. I was searched twice and only allowed one shirt and pant. They also made me remove my glasses, which was disorienting.

The police inspectors sought to question me, but I refused to talk. I have no problem ‘incriminating’ myself by speaking publicly about state/Zionist abuses, but it should serve a political aim.

Another officer asked the two inspectors if I was to be released, which is common when you present yourself to be arrested. Instead, I was sent to the detention area because the police were seeking stifling conditions for my release and wanted to punish me. There was a lot of yelling from those locked up in adjacent cells. There was nothing except for two benches and a toilet (no seat) with water fountain in the cell. I slept using my boots as a pillow. Five hours and a bad oatmeal cookie later I appeared before a judge by video. The Crown objected to my release, so I was sent back to my cell where I exercised and played imaginary football with a cup. They gave me another oatmeal cookie and bad cheese sandwich. Around 7 p.m. a bunch of us were given our jackets, handcuffed and sent to the Bordeaux prison. Initially, the paddy wagon induced a sense of claustrophobia and it was cold. A man next to me and someone in the wagon ahead repeatedly yelled for heat, which made for a bizarre experience. It was nice to have my first conversation in 10 hours with a Newfoundlander related to former NHL player Michael Ryder, who I played with briefly when I tried out for the Hull Olympiques in the Quebec Junior Hockey League.

Keep reading

Ontario’s Premier Threatens to Cut Off Electricity to U.S. — Says Republicans Will ‘Feel Pain Like They’ve Never Felt Before’ 

The premier of Ontario, Doug Ford, has threatened the U.S. over Donald Trump’s plans to impose tariffs on Canadian exports.

After initially putting a hold on his planned tariffs against Canada and Mexico, Trump confirmed this week that he would move forward with plans to 25 percent tariffs on both countries until both countries agreed to his demands surrounding border security.

In an interview on NBC News, Ford said he had never met a single American who supported the idea of tariffs, despite the fact that the majority of Americans voted for Donald Trump.

Ford ranted:

We are the largest purchaser of alcohol in the world. We buy over 3,600 products from 35 states. I talked to the Governor of Kentucky and Mitch McConnell. Don’t touch our bourbon. I’m going after absolutely everything.

And I don’t want to. We keep the lights on for 1.5 million homes in manufacturing in New York, in Michigan, and in Minnesota.

If he wants to destroy our economy and our families, I will shut down the electricity going down to the U.S. And I’m telling you, we will do it.

Ford then went on to say that Americans, particularly those in red states, would feel immense pain as his retaliatory measures.

Keep reading

JUST IN: President Trump Resumes Tariffs Against Canada, Mexico, and China

President Trump has reinstated his tariffs on Canada, Mexico, and China under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act after temporarily suspending the tariffs last month during negotiations to secure the border and stop the flow of fentanyl. 

However, the President told reporters on Monday that there is “no room left for Mexico or for Canada,” citing the “vast amounts of fentanyl” that has come into the U.S.

Trump: No room left for Mexico or for Canada. No, the tariffs, you know, they’re all set. They go into effect tomorrow… And just so you understand, vast amounts of fentanyl have poured into our country from from Mexico, and as you know, also from China, where it goes to Mexico and goes to Canada. And China also had an additional 10%, so it’s 10% plus 10%. And it comes in from Canada, and it comes in from Mexico. And that’s a very important thing to say.

Trump slapped the tariffs on the three countries under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act in February.

  • 25% tariffs on all Mexico imports
  • 25% tariffs on nearly all Canadian imports — 10% on Canadian energy resources
  • 10% tariffs on all China imports

An additional ten percent tariff on China was imposed on Tuesday, bringing the total to 20%.

Keep reading

Chrystia Freeland Canada Needs to Arm Nuclear Against the USA

Chrystia Freeland, Klaus Schwab’s stooge, has gone rogue and is pitching to become the next prime minister of Canada. She claims that the world is looking to Canada to be the new leader of the Free World. She is advocating joining with NATO against the United States, with Britain and France adding as nuclear powers, all to protect this leftist agenda because they know they are losing support globally. She said:

“The US is turning predator, and so what Canada needs to do is work closely with our democratic allies, our military allies. I would start with our Nordic partners, specifically Denmark who is also being threatened, and our NATO European allies. I would be sure that France and Britian were there who possess NUCLEAR WEAPONS and I will be working urgently with these partners to build a closer security relationship that guarantees our security in a time when United States can be a threat.”

Keep reading

Jailing Canadians Is Just One Way Government Supports Israel

Canada supports Israel’s violence and apartheid in innumerable ways. Targeting critics of Israel has long been a way Canada assists Palestinian dispossession.

I was recently arrested for social media posts critical of Israel and spent five days in jail to win the right to discuss social media influencer Dahlia Kurtz who pursued charges against me. My experience fits a long history of Canadian police and intelligence services targeting critics of Israel and includes close ties to their Israeli counterparts.

Over the past 16 months Canadian authorities have responded to the popular uprising against Israel’s horrors in Gaza by greatly escalating their assaults on critics of Israel. As I’ve written or discussed, dozens of individuals have been jailed or had their residences raided. In the most egregious abuse of state authority, Ottawa listed the grassroots Vancouver-based Samidoun Palestinian Political Prisoners Network a terrorist organization.

While the suppression has escalated in parallel with the upsurge in activism, it’s been going on for a long time. In recent decades the Canadian Security and Intelligence Service (CSIS) has demonized and targeted critics of Israel. In one of the rare cases that was publicized, at least seven friends of Stefan Christoff were visited by CSIS agents over an 8-month period in 2009 and 2010. They arrived unannounced early in the morning and asked detailed and sometimes menacing questions about the Montreal activist’s work with Artists Against Apartheid or trips to the Middle East.

As Israel and the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) engaged in negotiations during the 1990s many Palestinian Canadians accused CSIS of intimidating opponents of the Oslo accords. CSIS allegedly offered cash in exchange for information on those opposed to the PLO’s compromise. A 1994 Washington Report on Middle East Affairs article explained, “CSIS is carrying out a political agenda by targeting only those who are aligned with non-Fatah groups of the PLO — those who oppose the accord signed by the PLO. More than 20 PFLP [Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine] supporters have come forward alleging that they have been interrogated by CSIS.”

Keep reading