Slain Journalist Was on Threshold of Exposing Large-Scale CIA-Mafia Drug-Smuggling Operation Using Australian Bank Founded by Special Forces Veteran

n August 10, 1991, Danny Casolaro was found lying dead in a tub of bloody water in a hotel room in Martinsburg, West Virginia.

The cause of death was ruled a suicide, the view presented in a recent Emmy winning Netflix series. However, the crime scene evidence makes clear that Casolaro was murdered.

Prior to his death, Casolaro had been investigating the nefarious activities of a corrupt cabal in the CIA linked to then-President George H.W. Bush and was planning to publish a tell-all book called “The Octopus.”

One of the key chapters was going to focus on a drug and arms-smuggling operation using the Australian-based Nugan Hand Bank, which was founded in 1973 and staffed by people with military backgrounds and who had links at a high level with American intelligence operations.[1]

Nugan Hand made its money by charging high fees for performing illegal and shady services (including moving money overseas, flouting Australia’s and other countries’ laws, and tax avoidance schemes) and from the fraudulent procurement and subsequent misappropriation of investments from the public.[2]

CIA whistleblower Victor Marchetti wrote that Nugan Hand’s favors for the CIA included providing cover for operators, laundering money, and establishing cutouts for clandestine activity the Agency did not want to be publicly identified with—including gun running to apartheid South Africa and Southern Rhodesia in violation of arms embargos.[3]

Casolaro had been planning a trip to Australia to interview key figures associated with the bank, including Bernie Houghton, a top CIA man from Texas who joined Nugan Hand’s staff in 1978 and established its Saudi Arabian branch.[4]

An Air Force cadet in World War II who flew opium out of the Golden Triangle in C-47 cargo planes during the Vietnam War, Houghton had established the Bourbon & Beefsteak, a gathering place for U.S. soldiers on R&R from Vietnam, whose private guests included Sydney mob boss Abe Saffron and John D. Walker, the CIA’s Australian Station Chief from 1973 to 1975.[5]

Besides Houghton, Casolaro hoped to interview members of an Australian parliamentary commission that had investigated the Nugan Hand Bank and helped expose its criminal activities. Casolaro further intended to interview Nugan Hand Bank co-founder Michael Jon Hand, a decorated Green Beret in Vietnam and CIA contract agent who trained hill tribesmen in Vietnam and Laos and fled Australia after the Nugan Hand Bank’s collapse in January 1980.[6]

Already, Casolaro had amassed significant evidence of Nugan Hand’s function as a beachhead for drug and money-laundering operations run by Mafia-connected CIA operatives who were part of President George H.W. Bush’s “secret team.”

Keep reading

Northern Territory bans men from women’s prisons

The Northern Territory Chief Minister has announced a ban on men in women’s prisons in response to a bizarre situation where inmates around Australia are being housed based on gender delusions rather than biological reality.

Lia Finocchi­aro spoke out after a paedophile who sexually abused his own daughter was placed in a women’s jail in Victoria because he claims to be a woman, and a female prisoner in South Australia was raped by her violent gender-deluded male cellmate.

The Chief Minister also insisted there were no men in the NT’s jails, where aboriginals make up 90% of the adult prison population and almost 100% of youth detainees, and said she wouldn’t be “confused by this woke agenda driven by Labor governments”.

“There should be no men in women’s prisons, full stop. I can tell you now, here in the Northern Territory there are no blokes in women’s jails and we’re not having that here, not on my watch,” she told The Australian.

“We’ve got really clear guidelines around this. Labor had a weaker process but we want to make it really clear that if you are a man and you’re fundamentally equipped as a man, if I could put it that way, then you belong in a men’s prison.

“If you’re born a bloke, you go into a men’s prison. At the end of the day, this is really about women’s safety. It’s about women’s dignity.”

She went on to describe placing men who claim to be “transgender” in women’s prisons as “absurd” and “our nation’s shame”, and accused Labor state governments of being “obsessed with social engineering” and pursuing “ideologically driven law and policy”.

Ms Finocchi­aro made the announcement following a letter from Women’s Forum Australia to Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and every state and territory leader objecting to the practice of placing inmates in jails based on their so-called gender identities.

“This practice is dangerous, dehumanising and in direct violation of international human rights standards,” Women’s Forum Australia chief Rachael Wong wrote.

Keep reading

NSW Flood Relief Data Breach: Contractor Uploads Personal Details of Thousands to ChatGPT

Thousands of flood survivors in New South Wales, Australia, have had their personal details exposed after a former contractor to the NSW Reconstruction Authority uploaded sensitive data to ChatGPT.

The breach involves the Northern Rivers Resilient Homes Program, which was created to support residents impacted by the 2022 floods.

Through the program, the government offered options such as voluntary home buybacks, financial help to rebuild, or property upgrades aimed at improving resilience.

Now, applicants who sought relief through this initiative may be dealing with the consequences of a serious privacy failure.

Central to the incident is an Excel spreadsheet containing more than 12,000 rows of data.

The document, which was uploaded to ChatGPT between March 12 and 15, is believed to include information on as many as 3,000 people.

The compromised data includes names, phone numbers, email addresses, physical addresses, and some health-related information. According to the government, the upload was carried out without authorization.

Despite taking place over six months ago, the breach was not made public until this week, during a public holiday in NSW.

The delay in disclosure is a reminder of ongoing concerns around the speed and transparency of mandatory breach notifications.

Keep reading

New AFP boss warns hate crime laws may need to be strengthened further

Hate crime offences created earlier this year after a spate of antisemitic attacks may need to be taken even further, Australia’s new top cop has flagged in her first interview as police chief.

Australian Federal Police Commissioner Krissy Barrett has also announced the creation of specialised strike teams to chase down extremists who fall short of strictly defined terrorism offences.

Commissioner Barrett, who today formally took charge of the AFP, has revealed her first act as chief is to establish specialist National Security Investigations (NSI) teams in Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra to deal with the blurring lines between extremism, political violence, organised crime and foreign interference.

“In the past two years, particularly post-October 7, 2023, we have seen a changing operating environment for law enforcement in Australia,” Commissioner Barrett told the ABC. 

“Under my leadership, the AFP will be laser focused on protecting our sovereignty, our democracy, our social cohesion, our financial sector and our future prosperity.”

Keep reading

Australia’s “eSafety” Commissioner Holds 2,600+ Records Tracking Christian Media Outlet

Australia’s online safety regulator is refusing to process a Freedom of Information request that would expose how it has tracked the activity of a prominent Christian media outlet and its leaders, citing excessive workload as the reason for denial.

The office of eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant has confirmed it is holding more than 2,600 records connected to The Daily Declaration, its founding body The Canberra Declaration, and three of its editorial figures: Warwick Marsh, Samuel Hartwich, and Kurt Mahlburg.

Despite admitting the existence of these records, the agency says reviewing them would take more than 100 hours and would therefore unreasonably impact its operations.

In a formal response dated 29 September, the regulator explained that it had identified thousands of documents referencing the group and its members. “Processing a request of this size would substantially impact eSafety’s operations,” the notice read.

The documents include media monitoring reports automatically generated whenever The Daily Declaration or its editors have posted online about the regulator or been tagged in relevant conversations.

Keep reading

Strict new pet law to cost Aussies $5,000: What you need to know

Cat owners may be forced to spend thousands on building custom enclosures for their pets if powerful new laws are passed next year. 

Local councils in Western Australia could be granted new powers to enforce cat containment and fine owners whose pets stray too far from home. 

The federal government is currently amending the Cat Act 2011, with the changes expected to come into effect from as early as 2026. 

Building a large custom cat enclosure can cost upwards of $4,500.

It’s been estimated that since colonisation in 1788, cats have played a leading role in most of Australia’s 34 mammal extinctions.

A University of Sydney study found that each roaming cat killed an average of 186 reptiles, birds and mammals per year.

The 2020 report showed a death rate of 4,440 to 8,100 animals per square kilometre per year in areas inhabited by pet cats. 

In Australia, 2.7million pet cats, or 71 per cent, are able to roam free and hunt wildlife.

Keep reading

Australian cyber warfare expert makes a chilling claim about Chinese EVs that every driver should read

China could detonate or disable electric vehicles sold in Australia, a top cybersecurity expert has warned. 

Alastair MacGibbon, former cybersecurity adviser to then-Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, sounded the alarm at the Financial Review’s Cyber Summit on Tuesday.

He depicted Australia’s policy towards Chinese EV’s as a security failure, adding the situation was so dire public officials ought to be banned from riding in them. 

‘The last decision of the National Security Committee of the Turnbull government was to take high-risk vendors out of 5G networks,’ he said. 

‘Fast-forward seven years and… potentially millions of [the Internet of Things] or connected devices – not made in China, but controlled by China – are all through our systems.

‘Those cars that we talk about, whether they’re electric or not, are listening devices, and they’re surveillance devices in terms of cameras.’

Mr MacGibbon, who now serves as the chief strategy officer at CyberCX, said the risks went beyond just EV’s to smart devices made or controlled in China.

‘Let’s talk potential scenarios, take off the safety features of household batteries so that they overcharge. Take off those same safety features for electric vehicles,’ he said. 

Keep reading

Australia enforces world’s harshest social media age crackdown

Australia is introducing the world’s toughest rules to keep children off social media, with platforms facing fines of up to $49.5 million if they fail to detect and remove underage users.

From December 10, social media companies must actively identify and deactivate accounts belonging to users under 16, block re-registration attempts, and provide proper appeals processes. Communications Minister Anika Wells has unveiled a list of “reasonable steps” platforms such as TikTok, Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook and YouTube must follow.

The measures demand that age assurance technology not be a “set-and-forget” system and cannot rely solely on self-declaration. Platforms are encouraged to adopt a layered or “waterfall approach” using multiple checks across the user experience to detect underage accounts. They must also remove existing accounts “with care and clear communication” and provide accessible review options for those who believe they were wrongly flagged.

Wells and controversial eSafety commissioner Julie Inman Grant will present the guidance directly to tech companies during a visit to the United States later this month. After trials proved the technology exists to meet the requirements, Wells said there is no excuse for companies to fall short.

Keep reading

Three people arrested after investigation into man’s suicide uncovers alleged euthanasia ring

Three people have been arrested after police busted an alleged euthanasia drug trafficking ring while investigating a man’s suicide. 

Queensland Police began investigating after the Coroner revealed the cause of death for a 43-year-old man on Hope Island, on the Gold Coast, on April 11.

Toxicology results found he had died from pentobarbitone, also known as pentobarbital – a Schedule 2 drug used by vets to euthanise animals.

Detectives spent the following months investigating the man’s health, care and treatment in the time before his death, before three people were arrested on Monday.

A 53-year-old man, accused of supplying the pentobarbitone, was charged with two counts of aiding suicide and one count each of trafficking in dangerous drugs, possessing dangerous drugs and receiving or possessing property obtained from trafficking or supplying.

He is due to reappear at Southport Magistrates Court on 18 September.

An 81-year-old woman was charged with one count each of aiding suicide, trafficking dangerous drugs, possession of dangerous drugs and sale of potential harmful things.

Keep reading

Australia Orders Tech Giants to Enforce Age Verification Digital ID by December 10

Australia is preparing to enforce one of the most invasive online measures in its history under the guise of child safety.

With the introduction of mandatory age verification across social media platforms, privacy advocates are warning that the policy, set to begin December 10, 2025, risks eroding fundamental digital rights for every user, not just those under 16.

eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant has told tech giants like Google, Meta, TikTok, and Snap that they must be ready to detect and shut down accounts held by Australians under the age threshold.

She has made it clear that platforms are expected to implement broad “age assurance” systems across their services, and that “self-declaration of age will not, on its own, be enough to constitute reasonable steps.”

The new rules stem from the Online Safety Amendment (Social Media Minimum Age) Act 2024, which gives the government sweeping new authority to dictate how users verify their age before accessing digital services. Any platform that doesn’t comply could be fined up to $31M USD.

While the government claims the law isn’t a ban on social media for children under 16, in practice, it forces platforms to block these users unless they can pass age checks, which means a digital ID.

There will be no penalties for children or their parents, but platforms face immense legal and financial pressure to enforce restrictions, pressure that almost inevitably leads to surveillance-based systems.

The Commissioner said companies must “detect and de-activate these accounts from 10 December, and provide account holders with appropriate information and support before then.”

These expectations extend to providing “clear, age-appropriate communications” and making sure users can download their data and find emotional or mental health resources when their accounts are terminated.

She further stated that “efficacy will require layered safety measures, sometimes known as a ‘waterfall approach’,” a term often associated with collecting increasing amounts of personal data at multiple steps of user interaction.

Such layered systems often rely on facial scanning, government ID uploads, biometric estimation, or AI-powered surveillance tools to estimate age.

Keep reading