Mayor of Massachusetts City Needs a Translator During Hearing Due to Apparent Inability to Speak English

Mass migration has caused one city in Massachusetts to resemble a foreign nation, as even its own mayor seems unable to speak or understand a word of English.

As The Eagle-Tribune reported, Lawrence Mayor Brian DePena testified earlier this month during a hearing in support of former acting police chief William Castro’s appeal against revoked credentials from a 2024 traffic incident.

According to WCVB, Castro “engaged in a motor-vehicle pursuit in violation of the policies of the Lawrence Police Department.” Moreover, he was “untruthful” regarding the chase while he and his superiors failed to investigate the incident independently.

Video has now emerged showing that DePena demanded a translator during the hearing because his English is so pathetic. DePena’s native language is Spanish.

The judge denied DePena’s request to have his personal assistant act as his translator because he and others involved in the case were unable to speak Spanish. Too much could get lost in translation.

According to reports, an official interpreter was used instead.

Keep reading

Haitians Allegedly Bilked Taxpayers Out Of Millions In SNAP Scam

United States Attorney Leah Foley of the District of Massachusetts announced Wednesday that two Haitian immigrants to the United States were facing food stamp fraud charges.

Antonio Bonheur, 74, of Mattapan, and Saul Alisme, 21, of Hyde Park, were each indicted on a single count of food stamp fraud over a scheme that bilked over $7 million in benefits from two bodegas in the Boston area, according to a Department of Justice (DOJ) release. Foley described how the bodega owners ripped off taxpayers during a press conference.

“These defendants exchanged SNAP benefits for cash, which they pocketed. Bohneur, a naturalized U.S. citizen from Haiti, owned the Jesula Variety Store. Alisme, a lawful permanent resident also from Haiti, owned the Saul Mache Mixe Store,” Foley told reporters. “These two businesses were co-located within a single storefront in Boston. To be certain, these were not supermarkets. They were not full-service groceries. It would be a huge stretch to even call them convenience stores.”

Keep reading

Amid fraud claims, campaign to end Mass. adult-use cannabis claims win

The controversial bid to end Massachusetts’ $1.6 billion annual adult-use marijuana industry claimed yet another significant early victory.

Amid widening accusations of voter fraud, the Coalition for a Healthy Massachusetts “is confident it has submitted enough signatures to put the question on the ballot” ahead of a Nov. 19 deadline, a campaign spokesperson told The Cannabis Business Times.

Ballot questions filed over the summer by lead sponsor Caroline Cunningham, a member of the state Republican Committee, seek to repeal Chapters 94G and 64N of the state’s General Laws.

If the “Act to Restore a Sensible Marijuana Policy” qualifies for the 2026 ballot and is approved by voters, adult-use cannabis retail sales would be outlawed in Massachusetts- though medical marijuana sales, home cultivation, and “gifting” between adults 21 and over would still be allowed.

Will Massachusetts vote to stop adult-use cannabis sales?

The campaign successfully collected a minimum of 74,574 signatures by Nov. 19 in order to qualify for a local vetting process ahead of another filing deadline Dec. 3, campaign spokesperson Wendy Wakeman told the Business Times.

Organizers have vowed to collect as many as 100,000 signatures.

And that’s despite mounting claims that signature-gatherers are using deceptive tactics to convince voters to sign the petition.

As MJBizDaily reported earlier this month, there are several accounts of campaign workers approaching voters while claiming the petition does something else, such as combat fentanyl or create housing.

Wakeman claimed in an MJBizDaily interview to have no knowledge or involvement with the alleged deceptive tactics. Campaign workers engaging in such behavior are volunteers and not paid signature gatherers, she said.

Cannabis industry advocates aren’t convinced.

Bid to stop Massachusetts adult-use marijuana sales accused of fraud

Such acts constitute voter fraud, according to the Massachusetts Cannabis Business Association, a statewide trade group.

It remains unclear what recourse cannabis advocates could pursue if the repeal campaign does indeed advance.

Using false claims to woo voters to sign is a protected free-speech activity under Massachusetts state law.

However, voters could petition local authorities to have their signatures removed and the petition disqualified if they feel they signed under false pretenses, elections observers have said.

Keep reading

Massachusetts out-of-state SNAP spending soars, including in Hawaii

With the federal government reopened, Massachusetts SNAP benefits continue to reach far and wide, with out-of-state expenditures on the rise as the feds consider revamping the program to reduce waste, fraud and abuse.

U.S. Agriculture Secretary Brooke Rollins discussed SNAP benefits on Newsmax TV Thursday, telling the network that SNAP data from blue states is “going to give us a platform and a trajectory to fundamentally rebuild this program, have everyone reapply for their benefit, make sure that everyone that’s taking a taxpayer-funded benefit through SNAP or food stamps, that they literally are vulnerable and they can’t survive without it.”

According to data from the state Department of Transitional Assistance, there have been notable increases in out of state spending through the SNAP program in eight states. From FY24 to FY25, these expenditures have jumped by 48.7% in Illinois, 47.1% in New Jersey, 25.9% in Arkansas, 21.8% in Minnesota, 20.8% in California, 10.9% in Washington, and 1.9% in New York. There was even a 16.7% increase in SNAP spending in Hawaii by Massachusetts residents.

This as other states, notably four of the other five states in New England, are getting the cold shoulder from Bay State SNAP purchases. Massachusetts EBT spending in Alaska was down 55% in FY25 and Florida experienced a 12.5% drop. Out-of-state EBT spending in Connecticut dropped 6.5% with a 5.9% slump in New Hampshire. Rhode Island and Maine saw decreases of 3.2% and 2.9%, respectively.

Acting DTA Commissioner Michael Cole tells the Herald that the out-of-state expenditures are negligible compared to what Massachusetts SNAP recipients spend at home and regionally.

“The SNAP program is a lifeline for more than one million Massachusetts residents, including veterans, seniors, children and people with disabilities. It brings in $2.7 billion annually that is spent at over 5,500 retailers and small businesses in Massachusetts,” Cole said.

He also emphasized the importance of allowing online purchases: “While 91% of all EBT transactions are made within Massachusetts and nearby states, it is important that recipients also have the ability to purchase food online. For example, some seniors are home bound due to their health or disabilities and are unable to physically visit a grocery store. All of these policies are set by the federal government.”

The DTA also says many Massachusetts SNAP recipients could be visiting or taking care of sick relatives and loved ones in other states, requiring them to spend money on food while away.

Keep reading

56 Arrested in Massachusetts Child Porn Sweep

Massachusetts authorities arrested 56 people across the state for alleged child pornography activities in a crime sweep dubbed “Operation Firewall,” state police announced on Monday.

The three-day investigation in 38 communities targeted the growing problem of possession, production, child enticement, and sharing of child sexual abuse material, the Massachusetts State Police reported.

In addition to the arrests, investigators say they searched 34 homes and seized 229 devices.

“Over several months, members of the State Police’s Division of Investigative Services used their training and skill to develop these cases,” said Col. Geoffrey Noble. “I commend the Troopers for their hard work to overcome the evasive tactics of suspects and build a comprehensive operational plan to safely remove predators from our streets.”

The defendants are expected to face charges connected to child pornography, child enticement, outstanding warrants for assault and battery of a child, rape of a child, and failure to register with the Sex Offender Registry Board, according to authorities.

The investigators worked for several weeks to develop Operation Firewall, according to Lt. Col. Daniel Tucker.

The operation relied on several partners, including detective units, district attorney’s offices, special tactical teams, and officials specializing in the apprehension of violent fugitives.

Troopers conducted arrests for a variety of sexual offenses with children, including contact, enticement, trafficking, and aggravated rape, the state reported.

“The Massachusetts State Police are working very hard every day to keep our communities safe, especially our children,” Gov. Maura Healey said in a statement.

According to the state police, many child pornography investigations stem from a growing number of online tips from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) regarding suspicious activity.

Under federal law, electronic service providers are required to submit a cyber tip line report to the agency when they recognize dangerous behavior. Troopers assigned to the cybercrime unit review the tips to see if the content violates the state’s child pornography laws.

Keep reading

Gov Healey’s Drug Lord Deputy Director

Democratic Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey’s deputy director, LaMar Cook, has been running a massive drug operation under her nose. Authorities seized eight kilograms of cocaine that were being delivered to a state government office building. The Massachusetts State Police seized multiple packages totaling 21 kilograms of cocaine.

Authorities arrested Cook during a traffic stop for a “controlled delivery operation” after intercepting the eight kilos of cocaine destined for the Springfield State Office Building. “As the Western Massachusetts Director for Governor Maura Healey, I serve as a key liaison between the state government and the western region of Massachusetts,” the LinkedIn bio for the suspected cocaine trafficker reads. “In this role, I effectively manage and coordinate government initiatives and policies in 4 counties.”

“The governor’s office has been made aware of the arrest of an employee, Lamar Cook. The conduct that occurred here is unacceptable and represents a major breach of the public trust,” Healey’s office said, as the governor has failed to comment on the incident at the time of this writing.

Cook was booked and received a $25,000 bond—a slap on the wrist. Trafficking 200 grams or more of cocaine results in a mandatory minimum sentence of 12 years, for the average person, with a maximum sentence of 20 years. The mandatory fine begins at $50,000 and extends to a maximum of $500,000.

The investigation is ongoing. It is absolutely abhorrent that such a blatant violation of public trust and human welfare would occur within the government. Cook obviously used his influence to expand his drug trafficking ring. Governor Healey will be under investigation to see if she knew or was involved in any form. At best, she wholly failed in her supervisory obligations.

Over 10,000 people overdosed on drugs in the state of Massachusetts from January 2020 to December 2023; cocaine was responsible for 46.1% of all overdoses. How can the current administration battle such a prevalent public health crisis when the drug lords are in neighboring offices?

Keep reading

Aide to Mass Gov. Healey charged in cocaine trafficking scheme allegedly linked to state office building

An aide to Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healy was arrested for cocaine trafficking after investigators intercepted packages with the drug slated to be delivered to a state office building where he worked, prosecutors said. 

LaMar Cook, 45, of Springfield, pleaded not guilty during his arraignment Wednesday and was ordered held without bail pending a court hearing, Boston.com reported. 

In addition to the drug charge, Cook is also charged with illegally owning a firearm and ammunition. 

Cook served as deputy director of Healey’s Western Massachusetts office, according to an archived staff directory. A spokesperson for the governor’s office said state officials fired Cook “effectively immediately” after learning of his arrest Tuesday, Boston.com reported. 

“The conduct that occurred here is unacceptable and represents a major breach of the public trust,” the spokesperson said. “This criminal investigation is ongoing, and our administration will work with law enforcement to assist them in their work.”

Fox News Digital has reached out to Healy’s office. 

Keep reading

Lunatic Arrested And Charged After Brutally Attacking Man In Inflatable Trump Costume

A deranged leftist in Massachusetts has been arrested and charged after he violently attacked a man wearing an inflatable costume of President Trump.

Trump supporter Jonathan Silveira told reporters that he was walking to a so called ‘No Kings’ protest in Swampscott when the assailant. Michael Curll, became enraged over the costume.

“He just didn’t want me there. He kept yelling and screaming. I kept telling him to get away from me, and he kept telling people around him that he wanted to punch me in the face,” the guy in the costume stated.

“I don’t understand why he got that crazy. I was just trying to get a few laughs. I thought it would be a couple of back-and-forths, you know, nothing like that,” Silveira added.

Video was captured of the assault and the subsequent arrest by Silveira’s girlfriend.

Curll has pleaded not guilty to assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

His attorney has claimed that Silveira was to blame for the altercation and hit Curll in the face with a metal pole, an accusation he has vehemently denied.

NBC Boston reports that Curll is due back in court in December on several unrelated charges in, including assault and battery, drug possession and criminal trespassing.

Who do you believe?

Keep reading

Parents outraged after Pride book with drag nuns and leather gear appears in Lexington kindergarten social studies curriculum

A Pride-parade picture book showing bondage gear and drag nuns is set to appear in Lexington’s 2025–2026 kindergarten social studies curriculum, sparking fury among parents who say the district has crossed the line between inclusion and age-appropriate teaching.

The revelation was first reported by Massachusetts Informed Parents, a watchdog group that obtained lesson materials from Lexington Public Schools (LPS). According to their review, the Pride-themed book This Day in June is listed as part of a new “Social Studies” unit for five-year-olds — a class typically reserved for topics like community, geography, and basic civics.

But the book’s illustrations show men in leather harnesses, bondage gear, and members of the “Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence” drag troupe, imagery that critics say has no place in an elementary classroom. Supporters of the curriculum say the materials are meant to promote diversity and understanding.

The new program is overseen by Aisha Banda, LPS’s K–5 Social Studies Curriculum Coordinator, who has championed “disrupting traditional narratives” in district teaching frameworks. Under her watch, the district’s new lessons are aligned with Learning for Justice’s “Social Justice Standards,” which encourage teachers to discuss identity, family structures, and belonging — even in kindergarten.

Keep reading

Massachusetts parents lose foster license after refusing to sign gender affirming policy for kids

A devout Christian couple has been stripped of their foster license after refusing to sign a gender-affirming policy they say conflicts with their faith.

Lydia and Heath Marvin, from Woburn, Massachusetts, have looked after eight children under the age of four since 2020, including many infants and toddlers with serious medical needs.

But the couple say social workers pulled their license because they refused to sign a clause requiring foster parents to ‘support, respect, and affirm a foster child’s sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression.’

It put them in a position where they were essentially forced them to choose between their religion and the vulnerable children they had dedicated their lives to helping.

‘We were told you must sign the form as is or you will be delicensed,’ Lydia told WBZ. ‘We will absolutely love and support and care for any child in our home, but we simply can’t agree to go against our Christian faith in this area. 

‘Our Christian faith, it really drives us toward that,’ husband Heath explained. ‘[The Book of James] says that true, undefiled religion is to care for the fatherless.’

The Marvins say they were blindsided by the decision. Their last foster child, a baby with complex medical needs, lived with them for 15 months. 

‘Every night for 15 months, we were up at least three times,’ Lydia said. ‘We certainly thought we would have young children in our home for… we didn’t know how long, but we were not done.’

Keep reading