Pioneering Aboriginal children’s advocate sensationally quits her role claiming that she was sexually assaulted by a Canberra bureaucrat

The ACT’s first Commissioner for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children and Young People has stepped down from her ‘dream role’ after an alleged assault.

Vanessa Turnbull-Roberts was appointed to the position in 2024 but has been on extended approved leave since July 2025.

She officially resigned from the role at the end of 2025 following months of questions about her absence in Canberra. 

However, Turnbull-Roberts on Tuesday morning alleged she had left her office after being subjected to ‘sexual harassment and sexual assault in Canberra by a public servant’.

She cited concern for her ‘physical and psychological safety’ as reasons why she left the role and added she needed to act in the ‘best interests of my family’.

‘This conduct has no place in any workplace,’ she said.

‘Appropriate reports have been made, including to police, and these matters are now with the relevant authorities. This experience has impacted me in ways too shattering for language to fully hold.’

Several ministers had previously voiced their concerns about Turnbull-Roberts’ ‘persistent absenteeism’, reported the Canberra Times last month.

Turnbull-Roberts shot down those report as ‘incorrect and harmful’.

‘It misrepresented the reality of my decision and caused me further harm. Taking steps to protect one’s health and safety should never be distorted or weaponised,’ she said.

‘No one leaves work of this significance without reason. As a survivor, a mother, and a proud Bundjalung woman, I know what it means to be unprotected in systems meant to provide care. I also know what it means to choose safety when it is not adequately provided.

‘I escaped the child ‘protection’ system at 18, after being forcibly removed from my family and communities at 10 because of racism. I have lived what children and families endure inside these systems. 

‘My focus since has never wavered: human rights, Indigenous rights, children’s safety, and defending mothers and families.’

The Canberra Times claimed that Turnbull-Roberts had a ‘part-time presence’ in the nation’s capital, writing: ‘There has been growing disquiet in the ACT First Nations community about the effectiveness of the [Commissioner and her office].’

Turnbull-Roberts on Tuesday said she valued her time as Commissioner, writing that she ‘witnessed extraordinary courage’ during her tenure. 

‘I sat with children and young people so often dismissed or silenced and watched them speak with clarity, strength, and spirit. 

Keep reading

Australia seeking criminal charges over aid workers slain by IDF in Gaza

Canberra is demanding criminal charges over an Israeli drone attack on Gaza that left aid workers dead, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has said.

Seven World Central Kitchen (WCK) aid workers were killed in a 2024 Israeli airstrike, which the NGO has described as “targeted.” The victims included Australian Zomi Frankcom, three British nationals, a Polish national, a dual US-Canadian citizen, and a Palestinian.

The issue was raised this week as Israeli President Isaac Herzog is visiting Australia to express solidarity with the country’s Jewish community in the wake of a deadly mass shooting which took place in December.

Albanese told Australia’s parliament on Wednesday that he had confronted Israel regarding the slain aid workers, calling it “a tragedy and an outrage” and saying Canberra had made clear its “expectation that there be transparency about Israel’s ongoing investigation” into the incident.

“We continue to press for full accountability, including any appropriate criminal charges,” he said, noting that Herzog had agreed to “engage.”

The aid workers were traveling through a de-conflicted zone in central Gaza in two armored cars with the WCK logo on them as well as a soft-skin vehicle when struck, despite the WCK coordinating its movements with the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), according to the NGO.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has acknowledged that the IDF was behind the airstrike but is insisting that it was an accident.

Keep reading

Top barrister Mark Dennis accused of possessing child abuse material is found dead

A prominent criminal barrister who was allegedly caught with child abuse material has reportedly been found dead.

Mark Dennis SC, 65, stepped off a flight from South-East Asia at Sydney Airport in January and was stopped by Australian Border Force officers, who pored through his phone, tablet, laptop, and a USB.

They allegedly found child abuse material and sexualised conversations with and about minors, and he was subsequently charged with possessing, distributing and importing child abuse material. 

On Monday after 7.30pm, police were called to his Inner West home where the barrister’s body was found, The Daily Telegraph reports.

The Daily Mail has contacted NSW Police for comment. 

Australian Border Force officials intercepted Dennis at the airport in January and searched his luggage following ‘intelligence led screening’.

‘The matter was reported to the AFP for further investigation,’ the Australian Federal Police said in a statement on Wednesday.

‘AFP members attended and on further examination of the device, identified alleged child abuse material and sexualised conversations with and about minors.’

Keep reading

Shocking new details emerge about Australia’s alleged satanic paedophile ring – after police arrested one of their own and a top swimming coach

As heavily armed police swooped in for their sixth arrest in an alleged satanic paedophile ring, disturbing new details have emerged about the alleged actions of three men, including a swimming coach.

A dozen Riot Squad officers, along with Child Exploitation Strike Force detectives, entered the Woollahra home of 62-year-old Colin Milne in Sydney‘s eastern suburbs early on Tuesday and charged him with 18 alleged offences.

Some of the charges against Milne, who is due to face a bail court on Wednesday, allegedly involve bestiality and ‘animal crush’ material, in which animals are subjected to extreme torture for the entertainment or sexual gratification of viewers.

NSW State Crime Command now believes it has tracked down a further 145 alleged predators across the world related to what is described as an alleged ‘international satanic child sex abuse material ring’.

The Daily Mail can exclusively reveal that three of the men already charged were living in a squalid prison house and were allegedly actively involved in possessing or distributing child abuse material, with two also facing drug possession charges and one accused of associating with other child sex offenders.

Police said at the time the men, who include former swimming coach Mark Andrew Sendecky, were arrested at a unit block in Malabar, but in fact they were living at Nunyara Community Offender Support Program.

A halfway house in the former periodic detention centre, which backs onto Long Bay jail, Nunyara COSP accommodates men who are subject to community supervision orders, including convicted paedophiles and child killers on release from prison.

Sendecky’s co-accused, Benjamin Raymond Drysdale and Stuart Woods Riches, were both allegedly in possession of methamphetamine at the location.

Keep reading

Google agrees to $68m settlement over claims it recorded private conversations

Google is facing a class action after its users claimed the company was spying on them.

The company has agreed to pay $68 million to settle a lawsuit as users accuse the company of violating their personal privacy.

Google’s virtual assistant, an AI powered software available on android phones and tablets, has been accused of recording private conversations.

The software activates when users use “wake words”, a verbal cue prompting the device to actively listen to commands, like “Hey Google” or “Okay Google”.

The assistant is designed to only switch from passive monitoring to active listening when it hears wake words.

Keep reading

Australia Passes New Bills For Tougher Gun Control And Anti-Hate Speech Laws

The Australian Parliament has passed two new bills that will set up a national gun buyback scheme, and attempt to combat anti-Semitism and hate speech in response to the Bondi terror attack.

In Australia’s lower house, the gun buyback bill passed 96 to 45 with the Liberal-National Coalition opposing, while the hate and extremism-focused bill passed with amendments, securing 116 votes to just seven.

Later on the evening of Jan. 20, both bills made it through the Senate.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese wrote on X that the government was “standing against hate and strengthening” national security.

New Gun Buyback Passes Lower House After 3 Hours

The Combatting Antisemitism, Hate and Extremism (Firearms and Customs Laws) Bill 2026 introduces not only the national gun buyback scheme, but new restrictions around background checks, the sale of firearm types, and new offences relating to accessing information online about firearms, ammunition, and accessories.

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke told parliament that had such measures been in place earlier, the Bondi Beach attackers would not have been able to legally obtain weapons.

The father of the terrorist duo, Sajid Akram, owned six firearms, despite his son being interviewed and cleared by intelligence agencies over concerns of radicalisation.

The bill was debated for close to three hours, with several MPs proposing amendments.

Independent MP Zali Steggall sought to ensure firearms background checks explicitly included “criminal history or proceedings relating to domestic violence or AVOs issued in local courts.”

Bob Katter, the federal MP of Kennedy, moved an amendment that would automatically revoke a firearm licence for anyone placed on an ASIO watchlist. That amendment was defeated, 88 votes to 13.

Katter, who opposed the broader reforms, blamed the Bondi attack on failures in the immigration system and argued the legislation undermined gun ownership.

“If they get their way, then the only people that will have guns are the people in uniforms. And we know what sort of society that is, that the only people that have guns are the people in uniforms,” he said.

Keep reading

Australia’s proposed “hate crime” bill is not only an attack on free speech; it opens the door to belief-based punishment

The “hate crime” bill that is being rushed through by the Australian government is officially called the ‘Combatting Antisemitism, Hate and Extremism Bill.  It is a sweeping piece of legislation introduced in response to the December Bondi Beach attack, so it is claimed.  

The Bill aims to crack down on “hate speech,” particularly from religious or spiritual leaders (“hate preachers”), with a maximum penalty of 12 years in prison for inciting violence or promoting racial hatred.  

“The ban on hate symbols will be strengthened, including by requiring a person caught displaying a symbol to prove that it was legitimate – a reversal of the burden of proof requiring prosecutors to prove a crime occurred,” The Sydney Morning Herald reports.

Adding, “Changes to migration law will allow the immigration minister to refuse or cancel visas if a person has associated with hate groups or made hateful comments, including online.”

It also introduces a new federal offence for inciting racial hatred or disseminating “ideas of racial superiority,” which carries a potential five-year prison sentence, and grants the Home Affairs Minister power to ban “hate groups” in the same way as terrorist organisations.

“The home affairs minister flagged the National Socialist Network and Hizb-ut-Tahrir as two possible targets of the law, but we don’t yet know which organisations might qualify as hate groups and be listed down the track,” an article in The Conversation pointed out.

Critics, including legal experts, civil liberties groups and opposition figures, have raised serious concerns about the speed and lack of scrutiny of the Bill.  The government released the draft bill with only three days for public submissions and held a snap parliamentary inquiry with limited participation.  

Experts warn the legislation may undermine free speech, fail constitutional tests and risk unintended consequences due to vague language and rushed drafting.  

The Guardian pointed out yesterday that as Members of Parliament (“MPs”) prepare for an early return to Canberra to consider Labor’s draft bill, the bill looks friendless as criticism and opposition to it are coming from all quarters. 

“The Greens represent the only viable pathway for the legislation in the Senate,” The Guardian said.  “[Greens] Leader Larissa Waters said on Friday that negotiations would continue but the risk that the legislation could criminalise legitimate political expression was too great based on the current draft.”

“That is a dangerous path,” Waters said, asking why legal protections would be extended to one vulnerable group in the community but not others.  Labor says it is open to passing new laws to include protections for LGBTQ+ Australians and people with disabilities in the future.

In the following, Nation First looks into how the Combatting Antisemitism, Hate and Extremism Bill 2026 criminalises belief, punishes influence and puts ordinary Australians at risk for speaking their minds.

Keep reading

Australia’s New Hate Speech Bill Is Reckless, Contradictory, and Repressive

On January 12, Australia’s Attorney-General Michelle Rowland stepped to the podium and announced what she called “the toughest hate laws Australia has ever seen.”

The government plans to push its Combatting Antisemitism, Hate and Extremism Bill 2026 through Parliament on January 20, turning Australia’s speech laws into something that reads more like a psychological test than a criminal code.

We obtained a copy of the bill for you here (and the memorandum here.)

The same week Prime Minister Anthony Albanese was praising Iranians “standing up for their human rights,” his government was preparing to criminalize speech at home even when no one’s rights or feelings had actually been touched.

The bill’s centerpiece is a new racial vilification offense. It bans “publicly promoting or inciting hatred” based on race, color, or national or ethnic origin, with penalties of up to five years in prison.

The measure’s core novelty is what it removes: proof of harm.

It’s “immaterial,” the draft says, whether “the conduct actually results in hatred” or whether anyone “actually” feels intimidated or fears harassment.

The courts will instead consider what a hypothetical “reasonable” member of the targeted group would feel, even if no such person exists in the case.

Prosecutors, the explanatory note clarifies, “would not be required to prove” any real fear at all.

The message: you can go to prison for causing theoretical discomfort in a theoretical person.

Rowland’s bill doesn’t stop at the town square or the street corner. It explicitly defines a “public place” to include any form of electronic communication, including social media, blogs, livestreams, recordings, and content posted from private property if the public can see it.

In other words, the living room webcam and the backyard podcast are now public arenas. A joke, a meme, or an overheard rant could be weighed for its impact on an imaginary “reasonable person” who never existed.

Keep reading

Australians Sound Alarm Over New Draconian “Hate” Bill

The Australian government has released a draft of what it describes as its most far-reaching federal hate speech legislation, a proposal that significantly expands criminal penalties for speech and grants sweeping new powers to the executive, raising alarms among free speech advocates and legal observers.

The legislation, titled the Combating Antisemitism, Hate and Extremism Bill 2026, was drafted following the December 2025 terrorist attack at Bondi Beach that left 15 people dead. The bill builds on hate crime amendments passed in 2025 and is now before the Parliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence and Security (PJCIS).

Attorney General Michelle Rowland said the Jewish community was closely consulted for the structuring of the hate speech legislation following the Bondi attack, which she later described as the “toughest hate laws Australia has ever seen.”

Under the proposed law, Australians could face up to five years in prison for publicly promoting or inciting “hatred” based on race or nationality if a “reasonable person” might feel intimidated, harassed, or fearful. The offence does not require proof of actual harm, intent to cause violence, or even that a complaint be made.

The bill defines “public place” to include the internet, placing social media posts, videos, blogs, memes, and online commentary squarely within the scope of criminal enforcement.

In effect, critics argue, the legislation lowers the threshold for criminal liability to subjective emotional response, rather than demonstrable harm.

The draft law also introduces a new framework for banning “prohibited hate groups,” granting ministers broad discretion to outlaw organisations without traditional procedural safeguards. Membership alone could carry prison sentences of up to seven years, while supporting, recruiting for, training, or funding a prohibited group could attract penalties of up to 15 years.

Notably, the legislation allows groups to be banned based on conduct that occurred before the laws existed, including actions carried out overseas. Legal analysts have described the retrospective elements as a significant departure from established legal norms.

Ahead of the bill’s release, the National Socialist Network announced it was disbanding. In a statement posted on Telegram, the group said it was shutting down in anticipation of legislation that would allow the government to ban organisations retroactively for acts such as Nazi salutes. The group described the proposed laws as “some of the most draconian the West has ever seen.”

While framed as a response to antisemitism and violent extremism, the bill makes no explicit reference to Islam or Islamist ideology. Instead, it includes broad religious exemptions. One clause states that hate speech provisions do not apply to conduct that consists only of directly quoting or referencing a religious text for the purpose of religious teaching or discussion.

Free speech groups argue this exemption could shield extremist preaching so long as it is framed as religious instruction.

Keep reading

FBI investigating Two by Twos for historical child sexual abuse claims, including in Australia

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has launched an international investigation into child sexual abuse within a secretive Christian sect that has followers throughout Australia.

The global fundamentalist sect does not have an official name. It is referred to by believers as The Truth or The Way, or by non-believers as the Two by Twos, or the Church with No Name.

WARNING: This story contains details that may be distressing to some readers.

Believers of the church meet in people’s homes for prayer sessions, with the group’s ministers moving between the different cities and countries where followers are based.

In February in the United States, the FBI launched a probe into the group after widescale reports of abuse were publicised by the BBC earlier this year.

A hotline for former members who have experienced sexual abuse within the sect in Australia and New Zealand has received allegations involving about 130 separate people.

Keep reading