‘It Can Ruin Your Career’: Glenn Greenwald Explains Why Journalists Are Terrified To Question Paul Pelosi Narrative

Independent journalist Glenn Greenwald said Sunday that there was a very simple reason that members of his chosen profession seemed unwilling to question the narrative surrounding the alleged attack on Paul Pelosi — namely the possibility that asking questions could put their careers at risk.

Greenwald laid out his theory in a Twitter thread, saying that it didn’t even matter whether or not the prevailing narrative — that the person who was arrested at House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s (D-CA) was a far-right conspiracy theorist and election denier — was true. The point, he said, was that it couldn’t be questioned.

“It’s very possible that the instantly formed media narrative — Paul Pelosi’s attacker was a MAGA fanatic who broke in to murder Nancy — will be proven true. But right now there are so many glaring doubts and holes in that story that it just takes common sense to question this,” Greenwald began.

Keep reading

‘Democracy Dies In Darkness’ – Unless You Want Pelosi Video Released

In a Wednesday article, columnist Philip Bump draws a line from 2020 election deniers, to QAnon, to people who think there’s something fishy about last week’s attack on the Pelosis’ San Francisco house by a mentally ill homeless man who was living at a house with a BLM flag, and who back-dated posts on one of his websites after registering it in September.

Bump writes;

The internet makes all of this so depressingly easy. Not only is it a warehouse of information, it is also the corkboard and the colored yarn. You can forage for evidence of your belief system to your heart’s content and you can see how other sympathetic allies have strung together their own theories.

I frequently come back to Lawrence Lessig’s 2009 essay “Against Transparency” in which he warned that publishing information in the interests of governmental transparency would simply give people scads of material to generate their own narratives. That’s exactly what happened, though Lessig didn’t foresee that the advent of social media would vastly speed up the narrative-building process.

As an employee of a newspaper, I would, in fact, like to see the video that the Capitol Police overlooked, and the body-cam footage. It is the media’s job to question authority and to ensure accountability. It is also the media’s job to present accurate information to the public and to stamp out misinformation. So while seeing that footage would be useful, there is not at this point any reason to believe that the attack on Paul Pelosi was anything other than what various legal documents have suggested.

The lure of conspiracy is too strong to accept that, however, and the public understanding of how logic works is too weak. -WaPo

So – people might continue to spread conspiracy theories despite video evidence, so best not to release it.

In closing, Bump puts conditions on transparency; “More transparency and more information are good when considered responsibly. The challenge is that one can no more control how that information is applied than the people who, say, write magazine articles scrutinized for patterns of numbers by the corkboard set can control getting looped into a delusion.”

So – no transparency for you, if you aren’t qualified to process it.

Keep reading

San Francisco DA Won’t Release Police Bodycam Footage, 911 Calls From Paul Pelosi Attack 

The US Capitol Police had cameras outside of Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s San Francisco home but they were not being monitored at the time David DePape entered the residence.

David DePape attacked Paul Pelosi, husband of Speaker Pelosi at his San Francisco home last Friday morning.

According to ABC News and the Washington Post, Capitol Police saw police lights on the camera and had to rewind the video in order to see the break-in.

“While the Speaker was with her security detail in Washington, D.C., the San Francisco cameras were not actively monitored as they are when the speaker is at the residence. The Command Center personnel noticed the police activity on the screen and used the feeds to monitor the response and assist investigators,” the department said, according to ABC News.

Keep reading

The More We Learn, the More Questions We Have: Here Are the Latest Details About the Pelosi Break-in

In the ongoing saga of the break-in at Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s San Francisco home and and subsequent assault of her husband Paul, new information has been confirmed that raising more questions about the security and monitoring systems in place at the million-dollar home of one of the most powerful individuals in the U.S. government. 

According to Fox News’ Capitol Hill reporter Chad Pergram, the United States Capitol Police did have eyes on the Pelosi’s home from afar at the time the break-in and assault was taking place “but no one saw anything until they noticed police lights at her home.”

The Washington Post reported more on how USCP found out what was going on 2,000 miles away in San Francisco:

Inside the command center for the U.S. Capitol Police, a handful of officers were going through their routines early Friday morning, cycling through live feeds from the department’s 1,800 cameras used to monitor the nearby Capitol complex as well as some points beyond, when an officer stopped. On a screen showing a darkened street nearly 3,000 miles away, police lights were flashing outside the home of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), officials say.

The officer in D.C. quickly pulled up additional camera angles from around Pelosi’s home and began to backtrack, watching recordings from the minutes before San Francisco police arrived. There, on camera, was a man with a hammer, breaking a glass panel and entering the speaker’s home, according to three people familiar with how Capitol Police learned of the break-in and who have been briefed on or viewed the video themselves.

That is, there was a live video feed in which the alleged perpetrator — who has since entered a “not guilty” plea — presumably was seen lurking around the property and breaking into the Pelosi home. But no one was paying attention. And no, it wouldn’t have been on a delay or only visible after the incident. Fox confirmed what the Post reported, that Capitol Police “would have witnessed the break-in in real-time.” But they didn’t, and only saw it happening when they replayed a recording from the night of the attack after seeing police lights outside the Speaker’s house.

Keep reading

U.S. Capitol Police had live video feed at Pelosi home but didn’t notice break-in: Sources

Alive security video feed at the home of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi caught the suspect in the recent assault on her husband Paul Pelosi, but no one from the U.S. Capitol Police was watching, sources told Just the News.

U.S. Capitol Police did not return numerous requests for comment on Tuesday. 

A source revealed to Just the News that the officer who was in charge of monitoring the feed didn’t notice the break-in occurred until the flashing strobe lights from responding San Francisco police squads were visible on the feed.

Berkeley resident David DePape has been charged in the attack.

Capitol Police Chief Tom Manger said that the department is currently conducting a formal review of the incident but declined to provide further detail in a statement released on Tuesday.

Keep reading

‘If a glass smashed, an alarm went off!’ Nancy Pelosi’s former neighbor questions why invasion triggered no warning as she recalls fleets of SUVs at the mansion 24/7, window alarms and even her computers scrambled by Speaker’s monitoring devices

Nancy Pelosi‘s former neighbor is questioning why a violent home invasion triggered no alarms – as security experts condemn the apparent ease with which David DePape broke in, and predict federal protections will be extended to her family.

Residents of tony Broadway Street in San Francisco are used to fleets of black SUVs surrounding the Speaker’s red brick mansion 24/7, a heavy police response to any disturbances, and even their computers getting scrambled by alleged security measures to protect the nation’s Number Three.

So when Marjorie Campbell read that her old neighbor had to call 911 himself while negotiating with a hammer-wielding madman, she was deeply perplexed.

‘There were black cars outside that house, particularly up on Normandie Terrace, all of the time,’ the 66-year-old, who lived opposite the Pelosis for a decade, told DailyMail.com.

‘I don’t distinguish between her being there and not being there. There were always multiple cars.’

Police statements and the criminal complaint against David DePape, 42, released Monday suggest that he broke in by smashing a back patio door. He confronted Paul Pelosi Sr., who phoned police and tried to talk down the crazed man. When cops burst in, DePape slugged Pelosi Sr. with a hammer.

‘Everybody in the neighborhood had alarms on our windows,’ the former neighbor said. ‘So if glass smashed, an alarm went off. We all had alarms that had chimed if the door opened or closed.’

Keep reading

Questions Continue to Swirl at Apparent Lack of Security at Pelosi Residence

Questions are being asked about the lack of security at Nancy Pelosi’s home after authorities walked back a previous statement that there were three people at the residence, now claiming there were only two – Paul Pelosi and his attacker.

Following the reported hammer attack on Paul Pelosi by 42-year-old culprit David Depape, police initially said that a third “unknown” person opened the door when they arrived at the scene.

“Officers arrived at the house, knocked on the front door and were let inside by an unknown person. They discovered Depape and Pelosi struggling for a hammer,” reported Politico.

After questions started to swirl about who this unknown person was and why they didn’t try to help Pelosi fend off the attacker, police changed the story.

The SFPD also says that there were only TWO people inside the Pelosi home (Paul Pelosi and DePape) when they responded, clarifying statements made at Friday’s press conference which seemed to indicate there was a third person inside the home who opened the door.,” reported NBC News’ Tom Winter.

Keep reading

NBC News Walks Back Report There Was Third Person Inside House During Attack on Paul Pelosi

NBC News walked back a report Sunday that there was a third person in Paul Pelosi’s home during the attack.

“The SFPD also says that there were only TWO people inside the Pelosi home (Paul Pelosi and DePape) when they responded, clarifying statements made at Friday’s press conference which seemed to indicate there was a third person inside the home who opened the door,” wrote NBC investigative correspondent Tom Winter on social media on Sunday afternoon.

Winter reported Sunday morning on Meet the Press that there was a third person inside the home, who opened the door for police.

San Francisco Police Chief Bill Scott indicated there was a third person during a press conference on Friday evening when he recounted details of what occurred when police arrived on the scene.

Keep reading

Elon Musk DELETES tweet to Hillary Clinton suggesting Paul Pelosi’s attacker was gay prostitute: News site behind story once claimed Hillary died and was replaced by body double in 2016

Musk had posted the theory in response to a tweet by former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, in which she claimed that the attack on the 82-year-old was the fault of Republican ‘mouthpieces’ spreading ‘hate and deranged conspiracy theories.’

‘There’s a tiny possibility there may be more to this story than meets the eye,’ the 51-year-old billionaire responded, sharing a link to a story published by an obscure outlet called the Santa Monica Observer.

It seemed to have crashed since the story was first highlighted by Musk, with would-be readers receiving an error page reading that the site’s webserver, Cloudflare, was ‘returning an unknown error’ according to Axios.

According to the LA Times, the same outlet previously reported that Hillary Clinton died before the 2016 election, and that a body double had been sent to debate Donald Trump. It also claimed that sunlight could treat COVID, and that Kanye West had been appointed to the Trump administration.

The latest story, which can still be accessed in an online archive, was headlined: ‘The Awful Truth: Paul Pelosi Was Drunk Again, And In a Dispute With a Male Prostitute Early Friday Morning.’

Keep reading

Two Far-Right Websites Attributed to David DePape to Smear Conservatives Were FABRICATED – They Were Created Friday and Deleted Saturday

The mainstream media attributed two websites to the man arrested with Paul Pelosi on early Friday morning, David DePape.  However, this all appears to be another far-left farce.

David DePape was found with Paul Pelosi early Friday morning in his underwear at the Pelosi home by police in San Francisco.  The mainstream media immediately tried to cover for the Pelosi family.  They then attempted to align the man in his underwear found with Paul Pelosi as a conservative.  But it was all a lie.

There are numerous questions related to this case already.

In addition, the media tried to frame DePape as a conservative based on websites that were reportedly his.  DePape was homeless and a drug addict but the media insisted he was running a conservative website?  Makes perfect sense.

FOX News reported on the websites reportedly connected to DePape:

Facebook disabled DePape’s profile early Friday and declined to answer questions. At least two online blogs under DePape’s name are stocked with posts from the years of 2007 and 2022 speaking of “censorship,” “Big Brother,” and pedophiles. One contained calls for violence and antisemitic content. It was not immediately clear that he was responsible for the posts, and San Francisco police did not immediately respond to questions about DePape’s online presence.

The LA Times also reported as well on the websites.

In the months before police accused him of attacking House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband Friday morning, David DePape had been drifting further into the world of far-right conspiracies, antisemitism and hate, according to a Times review of his online accounts.

In a personal blog that DePape maintained, posts include such topics as “Manipulation of History,” “Holohoax” and “It’s OK to be white.” He mentioned 4chan, a favorite message board of the far right. He posted videos about conspiracies involving COVID-19 vaccines and the war in Ukraine being a ploy for Jewish people to buy land.

DePape’s screeds included posts about QAnon, an unfounded theory that former President Trump is at war with a cabal of Satan-worshipping elites who run a child sex ring and control the world. In an Aug. 23 entry titled “Q,” DePape wrote: “Either Q is Trump himself or Q is the deepstate moles within Trumps inner circle.”

Keep reading