Archive.org, a repository of the history of the Internet, has a data breach

Archive.org, one of the only entities to attempt to preserve the entire history of the World Wide Web and much of the broader Internet, was recently compromised in a hack that revealed data on roughly 31 million users.

A little after 2 pm California time, social media sites became awash with screenshots showing what the archive.org homepage displayed.

It read:

archive.org

Have you ever felt like the Internet Archive runs on sticks and is constantly on the verge of suffering a catastrophic security breach? It just happened. See 31 million of you on HIBP!

HIBP is short for Have I been Pwned, the authoritative site for breach notifications that helps people protect their accounts after they’ve been compromised.

The message didn’t last long. Soon after it appeared, archive.org, when it loaded at all, displayed a message saying the site was temporarily down. Later, the site returned. Archive.org’s Brewster Kahle said on the social media site X that the archive had come under a DDoS attack.

Now, Have I Been Pwnd is reporting that archive.org was hacked. HIBP said the compromise occurred last month and exposed 31 million records containing email addresses, screen names, and bcrypt-hashed passwords.

Keep reading

U.S. Capitol Hit by Large-Scale Dark Web Cyber Attack, Passwords Leaked Through Staffers Signing Up for “Adult Websites” and “Dating Apps”

Over 3,000 congressional staffers’ personal information has been leaked across the dark web in a wide-scale cyberattack on the Capitol.

Switzerland based security firm Proton, disovered 1,800 passwords used by staffers at the Capitol are avaible on the dark web.

In an investigation, Proton along with the the United States based firm Constella Intelligence, revealed 1 in 5 congressional staffers had personal information exposed on teh dark web.

In the report, Proton shared, the leaks made their way to the dark web through several sorces such as adult websites, social media and dating apps.

In a statement to The Washington Times, Proton stated, “Many of these leaks likely occurred because staffers used their official email addresses to sign up for various services, including high-risk sites such as dating and adult websites, which were later compromised in data breaches.”

Keep reading

FBI Reveals That Iran Hacked Trump Campaign Materials And Gave Them To Biden/Harris

The AP is reporting that the FBI has uncovered evidence that Iranian hackers stole materials from the Trump campaign in the Summer and provided them to what was then the Biden/Harris campaign.

The report notes that the emails were sent to “people who were associated with Biden’s campaign” in June and July when he was still the Democratic nominee.

The FBI uncovered the “unsolicited” evidence as part of its efforts to investigate election interference.

The emails “contained an excerpt taken from stolen, non-public material from former President Trump’s campaign as text in the emails,” a government statement noted.

It is not known if the Biden/Harris campaign reviewed the materials.

Keep reading

Evidence Revealed Of Possible Massive Hack Of Florida Election System During Aug 20 Primary

Something seems FUBAR in Florida’s elections. A massive amount of information is coming to light about a possible breach of VR Systems during the August 20th primary election in the state. VR Systems maintains Florida’s election data.

Many of the ‘MAGA’ supervisor of election candidates lost by huge margins.

2 of the 13 MAGA SOE Candidates won — Monroe and Seminole. But to be really correct, it was 2 out of the 9 who had primaries. There are 4 remaining with only general elections.

In addition to hundreds of thousands of fake ballots likely inserted into the system, it seems the system may have been breached as well.

Keep reading

2016 Obama Unmasking Of Trump Officials Version 2.0? A Developing Story

If Iran has stolen documents from the Trump Campaign, who else may have them?

The United States Intelligence Community and the Five Eyes (UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the U.S.) possibly have the capability to see into Iranian networks.

If either element detected Trump Campaign documents on Iranian networks, they would likely copy these documents for analysis.

Who else would see these documents? Very likely senior Harris Administration Officials.

And who else would likely see these key Trump Campaign documents?

Just like the 2016 unmasking of Trump Campaign Officials by Susan Rice, the National Security Director for Obama – Jake the Snake Sullivan

And who else saw the 2016 unmasked names and their detailed conversations, shared by Jake Sullivan? The HRC Campaign.

And who helped exploit this unmasking and created Russia, Russia, Russia with Fusion GPS and Crossfire Hurricane?

Jake Sullivan

Who likely saw the Trump Campaign documents copied from the Iranian Networks?

Jake Sullivan

Who also likely also saw the 2024 Trump Campaign documents, shared by Jake?

The Harris Campaign

Keep reading

Red Alert! Virtually All Of Our Personal Information, Including Social Security Numbers, Has Been Stolen And Posted Online By Hackers

Most Americans don’t even realize that virtually all of their personal information has been stolen and posted online for free.  The personal records of 2.9 billion people were stolen from a major data broker known as National Public Data earlier this year, and this month almost of the information that was stolen was posted online for anyone to freely take.  We are talking about names, addresses, phone numbers, employment histories, birth dates and Social Security numbers.  This is one of the most egregious privacy violations in the history of the world, but hardly anyone knows what has happened.  So please share this article as widely as you possibly can.

USA Today is reporting that the original theft of this data occurred “in or around April 2024″…

An enormous amount of Social Security numbers and other sensitive information for millions of people could be in the hands of a hacking group after a data breach and may have been released on an online marketplace, The Los Angeles Times reported this week.

The hacking group USDoD claimed it had allegedly stolen personal records of 2.9 billion people from National Public Data, according to a class-action lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, reported by Bloomberg Law. The breach was believed to have happened in or around April 2024, according to the lawsuit.

The company that this data was stolen from is a Florida-based background check company known as National Public Data.  The following is what Wikipedia has to say about this particular firm…

Jerico Pictures, Inc., doing business as National Public Data[1][2] is a data broker company that performs employee background checks. Their primary service is collecting information from public data sources, including criminal records, addresses, and employment history, and offering that information for sale.

Of course there are hordes of other data brokers out there these days.

They collect vast troves of information on as many people as they possibly can, and then they monetize that information in various ways.

Equifax, Epsilon and Acxiom are the three largest data brokers in existence today.  Each one of them brings in more than 2 billion dollars of revenue annually.

As you can see, collecting and selling our personal information is very big business.

Keep reading

Kamala Campaign Cheered On DDoS Attack On Musk-Trump ‘X’ Interview.

Vice President Kamala Harris‘ campaign cheered on a distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) targeting X—a leading American company—on Monday, as it disrupted a conversation between former President Donald J. Trump and tech mogul Elon Musk.

DDoS attacks involve flooding websites with bogus bot or botnet traffic to sabotage their functionality or knock them offline altogether. The one on the Trump-Musk X space comes as the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is investigating a recent hack of the Trump campaign, attributed to Iran, in which internal emails were accessed.

Nevertheless, the Vice President’s team appeared thrilled that her leading election arrival—and a top U.S. business—were targeted again on Monday, trolling him on his Truth Social platform. Once their conversation concluded, Harris‘ team put out a statement sneering at Trump and Musk as “self-obsessed rich guys… who cannot run a livestream in the year 2024.”

Keep reading

Musk Says Massive Cyberattack Delayed Trump Interview

Elon Musk’s planned Aug. 12 interview with Former President Donald Trump hit a roadblock after the owner said the site was facing a distributed denial-of-service (DDOS) attack, preventing the X Space from going live.

“There appears to be a massive DDOS attack on X. Working on shutting it down,” Musk, the owner of X, said in a post.

“Worst case, we will proceed with a smaller number of live listeners and post the conversation later.”

Nearly 40 minutes past the planned start time, Musk’s voice finally broadcast in the Spaces room dedicated to the interview with more than a million users listening live.

Musk said the attack demonstrated that there are those who want to prevent the public hearing from Trump.

Twitter tested its Spaces platform with 8 million concurrent users earlier in the day, according to Musk.

Keep reading

Massive leak of US personal information shows up on hacking forum, including almost 2.7 billion records

Nearly 2.7 billion personal information records for people in the United States have been posted to a popular hacking forum, exposing names, addresses, and even Social Security numbers. The data allegedly comes from a company that collects and sells the data for legitimate use, but was stolen and put up for sale in April 2024.

Originally, a threat actor known as USDoD claimed to have stolen the information from National Public Data. National Public Data scrapes the information from public sources, uses it to compile individual profiles, and then sells those portfolios. The company serves private investigators as well as entities needing to conduct background checks and obtain criminal records.

When USDoD first obtained the data, it offered to sell it for $3.5 million. The hacker claimed it contained 2.9 billion records and consisted of personal information for every person in Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States. In the past, USDoD has been linked to another database breach, trying to sell InfraGard’s user database for $50,000 in December 2023.

On Aug. 6, a user going by the alias Fenice posted what’s believed to be the most complete version of the stolen National Public Data information for free on the Breached hacking forum. Fenice says, however, that the data breach was actually done by a different hacker than USDoD, one known as SXUL.

This isn’t the first time the data from this leak has been released, but previous posts have only included partial copies of the data. These included different numbers of records and sometimes different data. Fenice has offered the most complete version of the National Public Data information and has provided it for free.

Keep reading

“GAY FURRY HACKERS” CLAIM CREDIT FOR HACKING HERITAGE FOUNDATION FILES OVER PROJECT 2025

SIEGEDSEC, A COLLECTIVE of self-proclaimed “gay furry hackers,” has claimed credit for breaching online databases of the Heritage Foundation, the conservative think tank that spearheaded the right-wing Project 2025 playbook. SiegedSec released a cache of Heritage Foundation material as part of a string of hacks aimed at organizations that oppose transgender rights, although Heritage disputed that its own systems were breached.

In a post to Telegram announcing the hack, SiegedSec called Project 2025 “an authoritarian Christian nationalist plan to reform the United States government.” The attack was part of the group’s #OpTransRights campaign, which recently targeted right-wing media outlet Real America’s Voice, the Hillsong megachurch, and a Minnesota pastor.

In his foreword to the Project 2025 manifesto, the Heritage Foundation’s president, Kevin Roberts, rails against “the toxic normalization of transgenderism” and “the omnipresent propagation of transgender ideology.” The playbook’s other contributors call on “the next conservative administration” to roll back certain policies, including allowing trans people to serve in the military.

“We’re strongly against Project 2025 and everything the Heritage Foundation stands for,” one of SiegedSec’s leaders, who goes by the handle “vio,” told The Intercept.

In its Telegram post, SiegedSec said it obtained passwords and other user information for “every user” of a Heritage Foundation database, including Roberts and some U.S. government employees. Heritage Foundation said in statement Wednesday that SiegedSec only obtained incomplete password information.

The remainder of more than 200GB of files the hackers obtained were “mostly useless,” SiegedSec said.

Keep reading