Two of former President John F. Kennedy’s nephews are calling on the Biden administration to release the final documents pertaining to his assassination in 1963 after the White House announced last week that it was delaying releasing them due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The records were set to be made public on Tuesday, but the White House released a memo on Oct. 22 stating that it would delay their publication until at least Dec. 15.
In the memo, the White House said the National Archives and Records Administration has concluded that the COVID-19 pandemic has had “a significant impact on the agencies” and that they require additional time to consult with government agencies to determine how much more information about the assassination can be released.
Following the memo, Robert F. Kennedy Jr. told Politico that the government’s delay in releasing the remaining documents is “an outrage.”
“It’s an outrage against American democracy. We’re not supposed to have secret governments within the government,” he said. “How the hell is it 58 years later, and what in the world could justify not releasing these documents?”