The Pentagon has prepared plans for a possible renewed military campaign against Iran as President Donald Trump weighs whether to resume strikes following stalled negotiations and mounting tensions in the Middle East.
According to The New York Times, U.S. and Israeli officials have intensified military preparations for the possible return of combat operations as early as next week if diplomatic efforts fail.
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth signaled the administration is prepared to escalate.
“We have a plan to escalate if necessary,” Hegseth told lawmakers this week.
Trump, returning from China on Friday, indicated Tehran’s latest peace proposal was a non-starter.
“I looked at it, and if I don’t like the first sentence, I just throw it away,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One.
The president has repeatedly warned Iran against dragging out negotiations.
“They’re either going to make a deal, or they’re going to be decimated,” Trump said earlier this week. “So, one way or another, we win.”