Four Toronto-area school boards reschedule upcoming PA days due to solar eclipse risks

The 2024 total solar eclipse and its potential risks have forced at least four school boards west of Toronto to reschedule their professional activity days in April, according to officials.

In announcements published this week, Peel District School Board and Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board said the previously planned PA day on May 17 will now take place on April 8, when the celestial event will blot out the sun across eastern Canada for a few minutes.

“…There are risks associated with viewing a solar eclipse,” the school boards said in matching news releases, citing the Canadian Space Agency’s guidance. “Looking directly at the sun, without appropriate protection, can lead to severe eye damage or loss of eyesight, even during an eclipse.”

The boards said that because the eclipse will occur around the same time students are dismissed, moving the PA day to April 8 will “ensure that students will not be outdoors during” that time.

Last week, Halton District School Board and Halton Catholic District School Board also jointly announced that they were moving their scheduled April 22 PA Day to April 8. The boards said the decision was made in consultation with student transportation services.

“By rescheduling the PA Day to coincide with the eclipse, we mitigate possible student​​​ transportation and safety concerns and challenges for families that could arise as a result of the darkness that would be experienced while students are being dismissed from school,” the boards said in a statement.

Keep reading

Trudeau’s Orwellian Attack On Canadian Truckers Declared Unconstitutional

Canada’s Federal Court ruled on Tuesday that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s use of the Emergencies Act in 2022 to punish protesting truckers was both unreasonable and unconstitutional.

“I have concluded that the decision to issue the Proclamation does not bear the hallmarks of reasonableness — justification, transparency and intelligibility — and was not justified in relation to the relevant factual and legal constraints that were required to be taken into consideration,” wrote Justice Richard G. Mosley in his ruling.

The decision follows an application for judicial review requested by the Canadian Constitution Foundation, the Canadian Civil Liberties Association, and various other applicants who cried foul over the use of emergency measures to quell Freedom Convoy protests in Ottawa, which allowed the government to freeze the bank accounts of protesters,  conscript tow truck drivers, and arrest people for participating in assemblies deemed illegal by Trudeau’s government.

Keep reading

US tourist shocked when he was asked to sign ‘release form’ after ordering hamburger cooked medium at Toronto Hilton

Is there anything more disconcerting than being asked to sign a waiver before tucking into a hamburger?

An American visitor to Toronto shocked hundreds of Reddit users last week by sharing that he was asked to sign a waiver when he ordered a medium-cooked hamburger at a Hilton hotel restaurant.

“I ordered my burger medium and the waiter took it with no question or comment,” he wrote in a post captioned “Toronto burger came with a release form.”

“She brought it and it looked great! When I had my first bite she brought me a release form and said we always make our burgers well done, but since you wanted it medium … you should sign this.”

The poster said that upon the special “medium” request, the waiter informed the man that the only burger option was well done and requested them to sign the form.

The form stated it would clear the hotel restaurant against any claims for damages related to any foodborne illnesses arising from the medium-cooked burger.

Keep reading

Canadian man who claimed wildfires were a federal conspiracy admits arson

A Canadian man who claimed forest fires were the result of a government conspiracy has pleaded guilty to lighting more than a dozen blazes during the country’s record-breaking wildfire season, as nearly 100 fires persist in drought-stricken regions.

Brian Paré admitted to 13 counts of arson and one count of arson with disregard for human life at the courthouse in central Quebec, an act that drew away key firefighting resources from nearly 700 fires in the province last summer.

Those blazes, which required the aid of international fire crews, charred more than 4.5m hectares of boreal landscape. Virtually all of those fires were caused by lightning strikes, the Quebec’s fire service says.

But at the courthouse in the town of Chibougamau, prosecutor Marie-Philippe Charron said on Monday two of the 14 fires lit by Paré forced the evacuation of 500 homes, the Canadian Press reported. The largest fire lit by Paré consumed nearly 873 hectares of forest.

Fire officials investigated a string of five blazes in June that had no possible natural cause and broke out days after the province had implemented a fire ban. The 38-year-old Paré quickly became a suspect when he was spotted in the location of the fires and “demonstrated a certain interest in fires” after an interview with police, said Charron.

In June police began watching his social media posts, which frequently focused on the province’s wildfires. He shared content suggesting the record-breaking fire season was the result of government intervention, not climate change. The prosecution said police specialists developed a suspect profile based on the fires – and increasingly, Paré’s seemed a match.

Police later obtained a warrant to install a tracking device on Paré’s vehicle and found he travelled to locations where other fires were started.

After he was arrested in September, he admitted to starting nine fires and “claimed he was doing tests to find out whether the forest was really dry or not”, Charron told the court.

Despite a string of conspiratorial theories over the summer, amplified by Alberta’s premier, nearly all of Canada’s fires were caused by lightning striking the tinder-like condition of forests.

Keep reading

President Of Canadian LGBT Organization Arrested On Child Sex Abuse Charges

Yet another activist advocate for LGBT engagement with children has apparently been caught doing a lot more than community outreach.  Sean Gravells, an outspoken LGBT activist and the president of an LGBT pride organization in Canada called the North Peace Pride Society, has been arrested on multiple charges including sexual exploitation of a child under the age of 16 and the possession and distribution of child pornography.  

The alleged offenses all took place in or near Fort St. John, B.C., northeast of Vancouver. The interference and exploitation charges were initiated on Dec. 29, 2023, while the child pornography charges occurred on Dec. 31.  

The North Peace Pride Society quickly removed Gravells as president upon news of his arrest, and in a statement made to their Facebook Page they asserted that even though the group sponsors youth events, Gravells was never involved directly with children. 

Keep reading

Toronto Bans Tobogganing on 45 Hills, Puts Up Warning Signs

Talk about a slippery slope. Toronto recently erected warning signs on 45 hills around the city that read: “Tobogganing is not allowed.”

The warning further clarifies that “hazards such as trees, stumps, rocks, rivers or roads make this hill unsafe.” The signs also include a URL for a website where kids can find one of 27 tobogganing-approved hills. (Not even a QR code?)

Ricki Gurwitz, a Toronto mom of two, is exasperated.

“The fear of liability is ruining modern childhood,” she says. “I used to toboggan all the time with friends when I was a kid, and it was one of my favorite parts about winter.”

Bill Steigerwald, a longtime newspaper writer and author of 30 Days a Black Man, agrees.

“There are too many nanny rules aimed at making the world so safe that people, and especially kids, are not allowed to do anything outdoors but sit on a bench,” he says.

Toronto City Councilman Brad Bradford also opposes the ban.

“Frankly, it’s embarrassing,” he told The Toronto Star. “This is part of the Canadian experience, growing up in winter cities, and Toronto shouldn’t be the exception to that.”

Not only do kids lose out when trees become an obstacle to outdoor fun, but so does the city itself. Anti-tobogganing legislation makes Toronto “move in the direction of no-fun city,” says Bradford.

Last year, the city put up bales of hay around the trees on the popular hill in Bradford’s district to avoid crashes. Now, tobogganing is banned on that hill. (Of course, crashing into a solid bale of hay is perhaps not so different from crashing into a tree, in this humble correspondent’s view.)

Maybe it’s just that nobody wanted to bother with the bales this year, mused Philip Howard, an anti-bureaucracy crusader and author of Everyday Freedom.

“Memories of a fun place have been yanked away from families in Toronto,” he says.

Keep reading

Canadian government lobbies WHO to include climate change in the definition of a pandemic emergency

On Monday, Conservative Member of the Canadian Parliament Leslyn Lewis posted on Twitter a portion of a response to an Access to Information Request from the Canadian government about their input submitted to the World Health Organisation.

“As countries prepare to finalise the WHO Global Pandemic Accord in May, the Liberals have been lobbying the WHO to include climate change in the definition of a pandemic emergency,” she said.

The government responded to Lewis, indicating that “the new instrument should be inclusive and defined by an all-hazards approach in alignment with the [International Health Regulations].”

The response continues: “There are other global health threats that are currently building and/or could result in a global health emergency (e.g., climate change impacts) … which may be scoped out of an instrument with too narrow a focus.”

In other words, the Canadian government admitted it supports broadening the scope of WHO’s Pandemic Accord, or Pandemic Treaty, so WHO directs countries not just on infectious disease outbreaks but also on “health impacts” from climate change.

On 23 October 2023, in response to a written question from Ms. Lewis, Mark Holland, the Minister of Health, on behalf of Trudeau’s Liberal government confirmed the Government’s stance.  He stated that “other global health threats, such as climate change, can impact pandemics, and we incorporate these broader considerations in our domestic pandemic, planning, preparedness, and response activities.”

At the same time, Holland confirmed that, currently, “Climate change and other global health threats are not within the scope of the Pandemic Instrument.” But he did not admit that the Government was lobbying WHO to include it.

Justin Trudeau was elected Leader of the Liberal Party in April 2013. On October 19, 2015, he led his party to victory, winning a majority government. On October 21, 2019, he led the Liberal Party to re-election, earning a second mandate. On September 20, 2021, Justin once again led the party to re-election, earning a third mandate to govern from Canadians.  A Canadian intelligence report released in February 2023 suggests Beijing meddled in the 2019 and 2021 election campaigns, a continuation of a problem that was flagged 37 years ago.

At a “ladies’ night” fundraiser in Toronto in 2013, the then-hopeful politician Trudeau made his allegiances known.  He told the audience: “There is a level of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime and say we need to go green, we need to start, you know, investing in solar.”

Keep reading

DATA SOLUTIONS PROVIDER TELUS INTERNATIONAL IS PAYING $50 FOR IMAGES OF KIDS TO TRAIN GOOGLE’S AI

In a recent initiative, Google and TELUS International, a subsidiary of the Canadian tech conglomerate TELUS, have collaborated to collect biometric data from children for age verification purposes. This project, running from November 2023 to January 2024, involved parents filming their children’s faces, capturing details such as eyelid shape, skin tone, and facial geometry. Parents who participated were paid $50 per child.

First reported by 404media, the project requested that parents take 11 short videos of their children while wearing things like face masks or hats. Another request was for children’s faces with no coverings at all. Each video must be less than 40 seconds, and participants were expected to spend 30 to 45 minutes on the task.

According to the summary document, which has now been taken down, a TELUS International moderator would be on a call while the parent took these videos of the child.

According to TELUS International, the purpose of this project was to capture a diverse range of biometric data to ensure that their customer’s services and products are representative of various demographics. Google told 404media that the goal was to enhance authentication methods, thus providing more secure tools for users. 

“As part of our commitment to delivering age-appropriate experiences and to comply with laws and regulations around the world, we’re exploring ways to help our users verify their age. Last year, TELUS helped us find volunteers for a project exploring whether this could be done via selfies. From there, Google collected videos and images of faces, clearly explaining how the content would be used, and, as with all research involving minors, we required parental consent for participants under the age of 18. We’ve also put strict privacy protections in place, including limiting the amount of time the data will be retained and providing all participants the option to delete their data at any time,” Google told 404media in a statement.

While this aligns with Google’s broader commitment to developing responsible and ethical facial recognition technology, the project has raised significant concerns regarding children’s privacy and consent.

Parents had to consent to Google and TELUS International collecting their child’s personal and biometric information in order to participate. This included the shape of their eyelids, the color of their skin and their “facial geometry.” According to the TELUS International summary, Google would then keep the data for five years at most, which for some participants, would be into their early adulthood.

Keep reading

Statistics Canada excludes assisted-dying deaths from annual mortality report

Medically assisted suicide is the sixth-leading cause of death in Canada, according to its federal health agency — a reality Statistics Canada excluded in a recent report.

The Public Health Agency of Canada confirmed that 13,241 Canadians accessed the medical assistance in dying (MAID) procedure last year, accounting for one in 25 deaths (4.1%).

However, a Statistics Canada report showed cancer (24.7%), heart disease (17.2%), COVID-19 (5.90%), accidents (5.50%), cerebrovascular diseases (4.17%), and chronic lower respiratory diseases (3.73%) caused most of the 334,081 reported deaths in Canada for 2022. 

“In the database, the underlying cause of death is defined as the disease or injury that initiated the train of morbid events leading directly to death. As such, MAID deaths are coded to the underlying condition for which MAID was requested,” Statistics Canada posted on its X feed.

If a cancer patient accesses MAID to end their life, cancer would be listed as their cause of death.

A StatsCan spokesperson told the Epoch Times they excluded MAID-related deaths over the absence of an official classification by the World Health Organization (WHO).

“Causes of death are coded using the World Health Organization’s International Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD) 10th revision (ICD-10) […] There is no code for MAID in the ICD,” reads the email statement.

In addition, some provinces do not attribute MAID on medical certificates of death when the procedure is carried out. Provincial and federal vital statistics registries rely on this data, reported True North.

“Therefore, Vital Statistics is not a reliable source for tracking MAID. Stats Can will continue to classify deaths according to the WHO ICD rules,” said Health Canada.

Approximately 31,664 Canadians accessed MAID between 2016 and 2021, with an average year-over-year growth rate of 66%. In the previous data year, the feds recorded 10,029 such deaths — up 34.7% from 7,446 deaths in 2020. 

MAID accounted for 3.3% of all deaths in Canada in 2021, up from 2.4% of all reported deaths in the previous year.

Keep reading

Outrage as transgender woman Melody Wiseheart, 50, competes against TEENAGERS in Canadian swim meet ‘and shares changing room with terrified girls’

A 50-year-old transgender woman has sparked backlash among parents after she competed in a swim meet against teenage girls in Canada.

Furious parents claim Melody Wiseheart shared a locker room with their young daughters during the Trojan Cup in Barrie, Ontario, which took place between December 1-3 and featured age groups from eight and younger to 16 and older.

Wiseheart, a professor at York university, attended the competition at the East Bayfield Community Centre and participated in several events, including the women’s 1500m freestyle for athletes 16 and older, where she placed second.

The parent of one of the children who participated in the meet told the Toronto Sun ‘the girls were terrified.’ 

They claimed parents used towels to setup a makeshift tent to protect the girls that had to change in front of Wiseheart.

The event was sanctioned by Swimming Canada and Swim Ontario which issued a statement to the Toronto Sun defending Wiseheart’s participation.

They said: ‘In partnership with Swimming Canada, Swim Ontario has a robust system of policies, procedures and rules that support our member clubs in providing a competitive experience that is safe, welcoming and inclusive for all participants,

‘Swimming Canada and Swim Ontario believe swimming is for everyone…  people of all shapes, sizes, genders, beliefs and backgrounds should have the opportunity to swim to the best of their ability… with the expectation that our registrants treat each other with respect and dignity, and keep our sport environment free from harassment and abuse.’

Wiseheart, formerly Nicholas Cepeda, has reportedly been competing against girls since 2019.

Her research at York university focuses on aging, children and youth behavioral science. 

DailyMail.com has reached out to Wiseheart for comment on this story. 

Keep reading